March is American Red Cross Month
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. They aspire to turn compassion into action so…
- All people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope.
- Our communities are ready and prepared for disasters.
- Everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products.
- All members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed.
- In an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
An average of 91 cents of every dollar the American Red Cross spends is invested in humanitarian services and programs. Everything they do depends on the needs of the people that they serve. In 2016 the American Red Cross responded to 16 large disasters around the country and thousands of smaller disasters.
Whether helping one displaced family or thousands, providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran, or teaching others how to respond in emergencies, it’s through the efforts of ordinary people that they can do extraordinary things.
There are many volunteer opportunities to match a wide range of interests and time commitment. You can contact your local chapter to find out more about what is available in your area. Remember that “Wellness” is not only about taking care of yourself but helping those that are less fortunate and volunteering your time when a crisis arises.
For more information on the American Red Cross and how you can help visit: www.redcross.org.