2021 E/M Guidelines biggest changes
The 2021 E/M Guidelines have been in place since January 1, 2021. The biggest change for providers is to decide whether to use Medical Decision Making (MDM) or Time. How are you doing so far? Schedule a review today to find out.
Significant Changes in MDM Guidelines:
- The amount or complexity of data to be reviewed and analyzed.
- Risk of complications or morbidity of patient management can now include social determinants of health
- Quantifies the numbers of tests ordered, tests reviewed, and/or notes and records reviewed
Elements of Time:
- Time may be used to determine the level of services
- Office or other outpatient services: total time can be the determining factor in the E/M level assignment.
- Other E/M service subcategories: time may only be used for selecting the level of other E/M service categories when counseling and/or coordination of care dominate the service.